PHOENIX — From all appearances, 57-year-old William Bishop of Tempe was having a usual day on the job when he was attacked at a park-and-ride station in Mesa just before 1 a.m. Saturday.
“It seems he was doing the normal thing they do: Wait for fares. And it appears he went to use the restroom when this assault occurred,” said Mesa detective Steve Berry.
Witnesses called 911 and reported screams coming from the public restroom at Sycamore Drive and Main Street. That’s where officers found Bishop suffering from multiple stab wounds. He later died at the hospital.
Witnesses also described the suspect, and officers found 20-year-old Ricardo A. Ramirez within moments.
“According to the witnesses, the suspect was making comments about working for Satan and being there to collect souls,” Berry said.
While being interviewed, police said Ramirez mentioned that he had been drinking earlier that evening and had blacked out prior to the assault.
“From all that we can tell at this point, this was just a random meeting of these two individuals and unfortunately our victim here ends up dead,” Berry said.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets