PHOENIX — From all appearances, 57-year-old William Bishop of Tempe was having a usual day on the job when he was attacked at a park-and-ride station in Mesa just before 1 a.m. Saturday.
“It seems he was doing the normal thing they do: Wait for fares. And it appears he went to use the restroom when this assault occurred,” said Mesa detective Steve Berry.
Witnesses called 911 and reported screams coming from the public restroom at Sycamore Drive and Main Street. That’s where officers found Bishop suffering from multiple stab wounds. He later died at the hospital.
Witnesses also described the suspect, and officers found 20-year-old Ricardo A. Ramirez within moments.
“According to the witnesses, the suspect was making comments about working for Satan and being there to collect souls,” Berry said.
While being interviewed, police said Ramirez mentioned that he had been drinking earlier that evening and had blacked out prior to the assault.
“From all that we can tell at this point, this was just a random meeting of these two individuals and unfortunately our victim here ends up dead,” Berry said.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes