PHOENIX — From all appearances, 57-year-old William Bishop of Tempe was having a usual day on the job when he was attacked at a park-and-ride station in Mesa just before 1 a.m. Saturday.
“It seems he was doing the normal thing they do: Wait for fares. And it appears he went to use the restroom when this assault occurred,” said Mesa detective Steve Berry.
Witnesses called 911 and reported screams coming from the public restroom at Sycamore Drive and Main Street. That’s where officers found Bishop suffering from multiple stab wounds. He later died at the hospital.
Witnesses also described the suspect, and officers found 20-year-old Ricardo A. Ramirez within moments.
“According to the witnesses, the suspect was making comments about working for Satan and being there to collect souls,” Berry said.
While being interviewed, police said Ramirez mentioned that he had been drinking earlier that evening and had blacked out prior to the assault.
“From all that we can tell at this point, this was just a random meeting of these two individuals and unfortunately our victim here ends up dead,” Berry said.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development