The Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale housing market may be ahead of most of the nation in its turnaround, at least according to Forbes, which included the area on its recently-compiled “Best Buy Cities: Where to Invest in Housing in 2014” list.
One of 20 metropolitan areas on the list, Phoenix received a positive forecast from investors who used a unique set of metrics to predict market growth.
Forbes joined forces with Local Market Monitor, a home price and economic growth tracker which records data from over 300 housing markets nationwide, to create the list.
Local Market Monitor pulled data for the largest 100 metropolitan statistical areas (a geographical designation used by the U.S. Census) with populations of at least 575,000. From there, the choices were ranked primarily on four factors: population, home prices, and the local jobs economy. Each of our Best Buy Cities have high population and job growth, relatively low home prices, and are still considered under-valued (although in every case except Virginia Beach-Norfolk, Va., home prices have gone up). This makes them fairly low-risk investment opportunities for buyers who are smart and know not to overpay.
One of the metrics used by Forbes and Local Market Monitor has been dubbed “Equilibrium Home Price” — a value that essentially “tracks what the average price for a market should be, if speculation, weird distortions in local income, and other factors (like the housing collapse) weren’t present in the market,” according to the article.
The measure presumes that prices will eventually return to this level. When homes are far under the equilibrium price, investors are getting a good buy and can expect to make a good return. The other important consideration for investors is, of course, a healthy local economy. After all, there is zero point in purchasing a home in a market where the population is fleeing. That’s why Best Buy Cities are places where opportunities are growing.
The Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale area has an actual average home price of $196,035 and an ‘Equilibrium Home Price’ of $216,373, resulting in a nine-percent difference with a 41-percent three-year growth forecast to boot.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon