Officers were involved in a shooting near the scene of a bank robbery in west Phoenix Saturday morning, according to officer James Holmes of the Phoenix Police Department.
The robbed bank is a branch of BBVA Compass located at 3400 W. Thomas Rd. in Phoenix, where police received a call of an “unknown trouble” around 10 a.m. Saturday morning.
When the first responding officer arrived at the scene, he noticed a peculiarly-parked white vehicle in the branch parking lot, according to Holmes. Moments later, a Hispanic male with a bandana covering his face was seen exiting the building with a bag in one hand and a gun in the other.
“The suspect threw the bag into the vehicle, which the officer had pulled behind, and then the suspect began shooting at our officer,” said Holmes.
A Phoenix detective from the robbery unit, who happened to be in the area working on a separate case, also responded to the call. Upon arriving at the scene, the shootout between the first responding Phoenix officer and the suspect, had just begun.
“Our detective drew his own service weapon and fired at the suspect,” Holmes told of the transpiring moments. “The suspect was struck and he went down.”
Following the gunfire, the suspect was pronounced deceased at the scene.
Holmes told KTAR that the original call was placed by a fast-food customer who was in a drive-thru line nearby. Three employees occupied the bank at the time of the suspect’s entry. They were ordered to the ground at gunpoint by the suspect A customer who later entered the bank was ordered to do the same, before fleeing the scene when the suspect had turned away.
The amount of money stolen from the bank is not yet known and such amounts are not regularly released, according to police.
The suspect has not yet been identified, beyond Phoenix police’s conclusion that he is a Hispanic male aged 25-30.
The vehicle used in the robbery was a rental, Holmes said.
Neither responding officer was injured in the gunfire.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona