Officers were involved in a shooting near the scene of a bank robbery in west Phoenix Saturday morning, according to officer James Holmes of the Phoenix Police Department.
The robbed bank is a branch of BBVA Compass located at 3400 W. Thomas Rd. in Phoenix, where police received a call of an “unknown trouble” around 10 a.m. Saturday morning.
When the first responding officer arrived at the scene, he noticed a peculiarly-parked white vehicle in the branch parking lot, according to Holmes. Moments later, a Hispanic male with a bandana covering his face was seen exiting the building with a bag in one hand and a gun in the other.
“The suspect threw the bag into the vehicle, which the officer had pulled behind, and then the suspect began shooting at our officer,” said Holmes.
A Phoenix detective from the robbery unit, who happened to be in the area working on a separate case, also responded to the call. Upon arriving at the scene, the shootout between the first responding Phoenix officer and the suspect, had just begun.
“Our detective drew his own service weapon and fired at the suspect,” Holmes told of the transpiring moments. “The suspect was struck and he went down.”
Following the gunfire, the suspect was pronounced deceased at the scene.
Holmes told KTAR that the original call was placed by a fast-food customer who was in a drive-thru line nearby. Three employees occupied the bank at the time of the suspect’s entry. They were ordered to the ground at gunpoint by the suspect A customer who later entered the bank was ordered to do the same, before fleeing the scene when the suspect had turned away.
The amount of money stolen from the bank is not yet known and such amounts are not regularly released, according to police.
The suspect has not yet been identified, beyond Phoenix police’s conclusion that he is a Hispanic male aged 25-30.
The vehicle used in the robbery was a rental, Holmes said.
Neither responding officer was injured in the gunfire.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments