PHOENIX — If your New Year’s resolution is to find love in 2014, there’s a trend when it comes to finding a date.
No longer are online sites the place to go if you’re looking to meet new people, it’s as easy as checking your phone.
Matchmaking apps such as Tinder lets you find other users in your area who may be compatible with your interests.
“With a quick swipe you can decide if it’s a mutual match,” said Joann Cohen, matchmaker and dating coach in Phoenix. “It’s a way of really quickly finding out who’s in the area and who’s available,” she added.
An advantage to using phone apps like Tinder, is that it matches you with people that shares your interests and once they do, you can automatically be in touch, without requesting to be in communication, explains Cohen.
Like other dating avenues involving meeting with strangers, common sense recommendations come into play.
“Don’t post photos that are too provocative,” said Cohen. The photos can be taken and used on other sites without your permission.
For those looking to find long and lasting relationships, the recommendation is to be direct and to the point.
“If you’re looking for a serious relationship or something more permanent, put that on your profile,” she added.
Other safety recommendations to using phone apps as well as online dating sites are to meet in a public place until you get to know the other person. Also, let someone know where you will be meeting and do not share personal information online that can be stolen or used to hurt you.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night