PHOENIX — If your New Year’s resolution is to find love in 2014, there’s a trend when it comes to finding a date.
No longer are online sites the place to go if you’re looking to meet new people, it’s as easy as checking your phone.
Matchmaking apps such as Tinder lets you find other users in your area who may be compatible with your interests.
“With a quick swipe you can decide if it’s a mutual match,” said Joann Cohen, matchmaker and dating coach in Phoenix. “It’s a way of really quickly finding out who’s in the area and who’s available,” she added.
An advantage to using phone apps like Tinder, is that it matches you with people that shares your interests and once they do, you can automatically be in touch, without requesting to be in communication, explains Cohen.
Like other dating avenues involving meeting with strangers, common sense recommendations come into play.
“Don’t post photos that are too provocative,” said Cohen. The photos can be taken and used on other sites without your permission.
For those looking to find long and lasting relationships, the recommendation is to be direct and to the point.
“If you’re looking for a serious relationship or something more permanent, put that on your profile,” she added.
Other safety recommendations to using phone apps as well as online dating sites are to meet in a public place until you get to know the other person. Also, let someone know where you will be meeting and do not share personal information online that can be stolen or used to hurt you.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments