PHOENIX — If your New Year’s resolution is to find love in 2014, there’s a trend when it comes to finding a date.
No longer are online sites the place to go if you’re looking to meet new people, it’s as easy as checking your phone.
Matchmaking apps such as Tinder lets you find other users in your area who may be compatible with your interests.
“With a quick swipe you can decide if it’s a mutual match,” said Joann Cohen, matchmaker and dating coach in Phoenix. “It’s a way of really quickly finding out who’s in the area and who’s available,” she added.
An advantage to using phone apps like Tinder, is that it matches you with people that shares your interests and once they do, you can automatically be in touch, without requesting to be in communication, explains Cohen.
Like other dating avenues involving meeting with strangers, common sense recommendations come into play.
“Don’t post photos that are too provocative,” said Cohen. The photos can be taken and used on other sites without your permission.
For those looking to find long and lasting relationships, the recommendation is to be direct and to the point.
“If you’re looking for a serious relationship or something more permanent, put that on your profile,” she added.
Other safety recommendations to using phone apps as well as online dating sites are to meet in a public place until you get to know the other person. Also, let someone know where you will be meeting and do not share personal information online that can be stolen or used to hurt you.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon