PHOENIX — We have a winner, but we don’t know which one it is yet.
Judging was held Friday morning on which float in Saturday’s Fort McDowell Fiesta Bowl Parade is the best.
Several Fiesta Bowl officials as well as local children were able to vote for their favorite float, and they will get to lead it down the parade route.
Parade Chairman Jay Spector said each of the floats offers something special.
“The city of Holbrook float displays Petrified Forest and some of the red rocks up there. The Fort McDowell float highlights some of the animals that are native to their tribal lands. Then we have a life-sized cutout of ‘Thunder’ Dan Majerle on the Grand Canyon University float,” Spector said.
Majerle is a former Phoenix Suns star who is now GCU’s head basketball coach.
Spector said all of the other floats are noteworthy.
“The Dillard’s Queen and Court float is a fantasy-type theme,” said Spector. “The Fiesta Bowl float pits the UCF (University of Central Florida) Knights and the Baylor Bears against each other on the float, and the East Valley Institute of Technology float displays a lot of their different classroom opportunities out there.”
Fiesta Bowl Committee member Terry Ricketts thought aloud about which float would have the greatest crowd appeal.
“Is it going to be Dan Majerle? Is it going to be one of the characters on the floats?,” Ricketts asked.
Another judge said the decision process was very difficult.
“When you look at a float, you can tell how much effort went into that and how much dedication that those individuals and those groups put into it,” said Fiesta Bowl Ambassador Amy Ashbaugh. “I was just blown away by all of them.”
Neither Ricketts nor Ashbaugh would say which float they voted as the best, and they do not know how the other judges voted.
Still, they said they have a little bet between each other that the one they picked will win the competition.
“If mine wins, she gives me a bag of Tostitos chips,” joked Ricketts.
“If mine wins, he gives me the salsa,” Ashbaugh replied.
The winning float will be announced Saturday at the Fiesta Bowl Breakfast, and it will receive a plaque and ribbon to display during the parade.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon