PHOENIX — As people all across the Valley need places to put all their new holiday gifts, many are going through their closets and tidying up.
This time of year, nonprofit thrift stores such as Goodwill Industries and The Salvation Army receive an influx of donations, especially as many look to get last minute tax write-offs for their donations.
KTAR’s wallet watcher Alicia Markham, who runs the website DealsInAZ.com, said many thrift stores have upcoming specials before the year’s end.
“Goodwill has an amazing offer this Saturday: You’re going to be able to get 50 percent off almost everything,” she said. “So you’re going to get these new buys in store, and then you’re going to get an extra 50 percent off that.”
Markham said The Salvation Army and the Arizona Humane Society are also good places to look for deals leading up to the New Year.
Many thrift shops around the Valley have websites that let shoppers know about upcoming specials and new items they’ve received, Markham said. She said a brief online search for her yielded a remodeled, working oven for $15.
“You’ll be amazed at what you can find,” she said. “There’s clothing, there’s appliances, there’s toys, there’s all kinds of things that, you know, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”
Markham said many nonprofit organizations run thrift shops, and that they are a great way to support charities.
“If there’s a cause that you really feel strongly about, it’s a great idea to see if you can find out if they run a thrift shop,” she said.
For those not looking to thin their wallet any more than the holidays already did, Markham said it is still a great time to contribute or donate to second hand stores.
“This is also a great deal if you want to get rid of some of your stuff, because you do get that write-off and you know that the money goes to a cause that you really care about,” she said.
The deadline to donate and receive a tax write-off ends Dec. 31.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets