Phoenix – Valley stores are expecting big business as customers come in for after Christmas sales.
Wal-Mart is offering up to 50 percent off on thousands of items, and there are also sales at such stores as K Mart, Target, Kohls, and Macy’s.
Things were slow early this morning at the Wal-Mart at 51st Avenue and Indian School.
Customer Norm Johnson stopped into the grocery department soon after the store opened at 5:00 a.m.
“I forget to get milk yesterday and everything was closed, so I came in this morning,” Johnson said.
He is a regular customer and laughed as he said, “I’m the one who gets sent out every morning because the wife doesn’t want to do it.”
He said the store actually had fewer customers than on most mornings.
Things started to pick up just before 8:00 a.m. Lili Rodriguez and her friends admitted they were here for the sales. “Today I stocked up on hair products and makeup,” Rodriguez said. “I can never get enough of that.”
Her friend, Brenda Gonzalez, said Wal-Mart was just the first stop for their group. “We’re going to go to Walgreens and we’re going to go to Kohl’s and take advantage,” she said. “You can’t beat these deals.”
Gonzalez regularly shops at this Wal-Mart, and knew that she would have no problem getting in and out of the store if she got here early. She joked that would pick up around noon, “when everyone gets out of bed.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night