PHOENIX — A flu shot can help you protect the ones you love.
That’s what members of the Valley’s health community are telling their patients.
“The main reason we recommend flu vaccines is to create a herd immunity, like a herd of buffaloes,” Phoenix physician’s assistant Adam Schwartz said.
Getting your flu shot will help you to protect your “herd,” so to speak.
Schwartz said if your immune system is good you could still get the flu and it might leave you feeling sick for a few days to a week.
“If I get my flu vaccine, the more likely that when I’m around (people with weakened immune systems), they won’t have the major complications that we see every year, which is death, secondary pneumonia, and hospitalizations,” Schwartz said. “They’re protected.”
Be considerate of other people and get your flu shot.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains