PHOENIX — A flu shot can help you protect the ones you love.
That’s what members of the Valley’s health community are telling their patients.
“The main reason we recommend flu vaccines is to create a herd immunity, like a herd of buffaloes,” Phoenix physician’s assistant Adam Schwartz said.
Getting your flu shot will help you to protect your “herd,” so to speak.
Schwartz said if your immune system is good you could still get the flu and it might leave you feeling sick for a few days to a week.
“If I get my flu vaccine, the more likely that when I’m around (people with weakened immune systems), they won’t have the major complications that we see every year, which is death, secondary pneumonia, and hospitalizations,” Schwartz said. “They’re protected.”
Be considerate of other people and get your flu shot.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America