MESA, Ariz. — An East Valley political leader has a big decision to make.
Mesa Mayor Scott Smith is spending the holidays talking with his family about whether to run for governor.
Smith said he’s talking with them “because this is a big change. I did not get into politics to climb the ladder. I ran for mayor, coming straight from the business world, because I wanted to change Mesa.”
Although, now might be an inconvenient time to run for mayor.
“Things are going really well in Mesa, and I am involved on a national level with my U.S. Conference of Mayors Presidency,” Smith said. “With the resign to run law, I would have to resign as Mayor of Mesa. That’s a tough decision.”
On the other hand, Smith thinks 2014 might be the right to run for governor because it’s an election year and Arizona is at a crossroads.
“The next governor will probably face an improving economy,” Smith said. “(He or she) will face some incredible challenges as to what to do with the state in that economy. Not only from state expenditures, but building a state that’s competitive in a global economy.”
The mayor will announce his decision on whether to run sometime after the beginning of the new year.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.