MESA, Ariz. — An East Valley political leader has a big decision to make.
Mesa Mayor Scott Smith is spending the holidays talking with his family about whether to run for governor.
Smith said he’s talking with them “because this is a big change. I did not get into politics to climb the ladder. I ran for mayor, coming straight from the business world, because I wanted to change Mesa.”
Although, now might be an inconvenient time to run for mayor.
“Things are going really well in Mesa, and I am involved on a national level with my U.S. Conference of Mayors Presidency,” Smith said. “With the resign to run law, I would have to resign as Mayor of Mesa. That’s a tough decision.”
On the other hand, Smith thinks 2014 might be the right to run for governor because it’s an election year and Arizona is at a crossroads.
“The next governor will probably face an improving economy,” Smith said. “(He or she) will face some incredible challenges as to what to do with the state in that economy. Not only from state expenditures, but building a state that’s competitive in a global economy.”
The mayor will announce his decision on whether to run sometime after the beginning of the new year.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development