MESA, Ariz. — An East Valley political leader has a big decision to make.
Mesa Mayor Scott Smith is spending the holidays talking with his family about whether to run for governor.
Smith said he’s talking with them “because this is a big change. I did not get into politics to climb the ladder. I ran for mayor, coming straight from the business world, because I wanted to change Mesa.”
Although, now might be an inconvenient time to run for mayor.
“Things are going really well in Mesa, and I am involved on a national level with my U.S. Conference of Mayors Presidency,” Smith said. “With the resign to run law, I would have to resign as Mayor of Mesa. That’s a tough decision.”
On the other hand, Smith thinks 2014 might be the right to run for governor because it’s an election year and Arizona is at a crossroads.
“The next governor will probably face an improving economy,” Smith said. “(He or she) will face some incredible challenges as to what to do with the state in that economy. Not only from state expenditures, but building a state that’s competitive in a global economy.”
The mayor will announce his decision on whether to run sometime after the beginning of the new year.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets