PHOENIX — A Mesa girl who was abducted for a short time Sunday has received a holiday gift from the the police officer who rescued her.
The 8-year-old girl was riding her bike when she was allegedly abducted by 22-year-old Robert Curtis Milliron. Police said he was lonely and wanted companionship.
The girl escaped after Milliron crashed his vehicle. She was rescued by Mesa Police Officer Jonathon Appel, who found her running down an alley.
As a result of the investigation, the girl’s bike was seized. Appel felt bad about the situation, so he took the girl to Walmart and bought her a new bicycle.
“I did not want her to be without a bike for Christmas,” Appel said. “I wanted her to have a new bike, to which she could affix new and happier memories.”
Milliron was booked on charges of kidnapping, unlawful imprisonment, aggravated assault and hit and run.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon