PHOENIX — Christmas is a busy season for burglars.
Thieves are well aware that nearly every home has presents under the tree. Those packages likely filed with easy-to-sell, brand-new valuables such as small electronics, computers and jewelry.
“We know that a lot of families will be at their friend’s houses, they go to parties, a lot of people go out of town,” said Glendale police officer Tracey Breeden. “We want people to follow the tips we give them, so nobody gets in their house except for Santa Claus.”
Breeden advised homeowners to not hide the front door key under the mat, don’t have the Christmas tree and presents visible from the street and, best of all, don’t leave the boxes from your new big screen or computer on the street.
“Those are just a little extra precaution you can take to help keep thieves out of your home,” Breeden said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon