PHOENIX — Christmas is a busy season for burglars.
Thieves are well aware that nearly every home has presents under the tree. Those packages likely filed with easy-to-sell, brand-new valuables such as small electronics, computers and jewelry.
“We know that a lot of families will be at their friend’s houses, they go to parties, a lot of people go out of town,” said Glendale police officer Tracey Breeden. “We want people to follow the tips we give them, so nobody gets in their house except for Santa Claus.”
Breeden advised homeowners to not hide the front door key under the mat, don’t have the Christmas tree and presents visible from the street and, best of all, don’t leave the boxes from your new big screen or computer on the street.
“Those are just a little extra precaution you can take to help keep thieves out of your home,” Breeden said.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments