PHOENIX — Christmas is a busy season for burglars.
Thieves are well aware that nearly every home has presents under the tree. Those packages likely filed with easy-to-sell, brand-new valuables such as small electronics, computers and jewelry.
“We know that a lot of families will be at their friend’s houses, they go to parties, a lot of people go out of town,” said Glendale police officer Tracey Breeden. “We want people to follow the tips we give them, so nobody gets in their house except for Santa Claus.”
Breeden advised homeowners to not hide the front door key under the mat, don’t have the Christmas tree and presents visible from the street and, best of all, don’t leave the boxes from your new big screen or computer on the street.
“Those are just a little extra precaution you can take to help keep thieves out of your home,” Breeden said.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas