PHOENIX — Dressed like Santa Claus, members of PETA plan to greet shoppers in downtown Phoenix on Monday in hopes of persuading them to cross products made from animal skins off their holiday shopping lists.
The group will be handing out candy canes with tags that read: “Be sweet to animals. Don’t buy fur, leather, or wool.”
PETA said the goal is to show shoppers that with all the different types of natural and synthetic fashions available, it’s unnecessary to skin, shear, or mutilate animals to be in style.
In a press release, the animal-rights group said animals slated to be killed for their fur are often electrocuted, poisoned, or have their necks broken.
PETA volunteers will be near the intersection of Washington Street and Central Avenue beginning at noon Monday.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life