PHOENIX — Dressed like Santa Claus, members of PETA plan to greet shoppers in downtown Phoenix on Monday in hopes of persuading them to cross products made from animal skins off their holiday shopping lists.
The group will be handing out candy canes with tags that read: “Be sweet to animals. Don’t buy fur, leather, or wool.”
PETA said the goal is to show shoppers that with all the different types of natural and synthetic fashions available, it’s unnecessary to skin, shear, or mutilate animals to be in style.
In a press release, the animal-rights group said animals slated to be killed for their fur are often electrocuted, poisoned, or have their necks broken.
PETA volunteers will be near the intersection of Washington Street and Central Avenue beginning at noon Monday.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets