PHOENIX — A man was killed Saturday night after he lay down in the middle of a busy Phoenix street and was struck by a car.
The 40-year-old man was crossing Camelback Road west of the Interstate 17 around 9:30 p.m. when he decided to lie down in the eastbound turn lanes, according to Phoenix police Sgt. Tommy Thompson.
One vehicle had stopped for the pedestrian, even though he wasn’t in a
crosswalk, but a second vehicle, a Nissan Altima, struck the man.
Thompson said the driver could not see the man until it was too late. The pedestrian was taken to a hospital, where he later died from injuries.
The driver of the Nissan was evaluated and showed no signs of impairment.
Police said they don’t know why the pedestrian decided to lie down in the
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America