PHOENIX — Valley charities are urging parents to clean out their closets after all the new toys are opened on Christmas.
“Let’s say a kid gets five new toys for Christmas. That kid should pick five of his or her old toys and donate them to charity,” Mike Sullivan of the Take Charge America Credit Counseling Service said about the “Get one, give one” charity promotion.
Sullivan said that will make room for the new stuff in the house while teaching kids a valuable lesson.
“That teaches you that you don’t need to collect a thousand things, and that you have an obligation to help others,” he said.
And after you donate their old toys to charity, you might want to talk to your tax preparer. That toy donation may be tax deductible.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier