PHOENIX — Signs of recovery have some Yarnell residents getting into the Christmas mood.
They plan to sing the song “I’ll be Home for Christmas” at Friday afternoon’s dedication of the first six homes to be rebuilt after last June’s massive Yarnell Hill fire.
The public will have the chance to tour the homes starting at 3:30 p.m., followed by the dedication at 5:30. The homes have Christmas lights that will be turned on during the dedication.
Yarnell Hill Recovery Group Director Chuck Tidey said this is a sign that Yarnell is making a comeback.
“It let’s everybody know that we’re on the road to recovery,” he said.
The recovery group used donated funds and volunteers to build five of the homes for uninsured homeowners. The sixth home was built for an insured homeowner by Yarnell Homes, the town’s newest business.
In addition to the home tour, the Yarnell Chamber of Commerce will host a holiday lighting competition Sunday.
“We’ve got three categories,” said Tidey. “The first is personal homes for Yarnell and Glen Ilah. The second is for Peeples Valley and the third category is Commercial Businesses.”
The winners get a $100 gift certificate from local businesses, while the runners up get gift baskets from those businesses.
Tidey said that the area is making an amazing recovery after the fire.
“We had 122 homes burned. Right now, we’ve got at least 18 in the process of being rebuilt. That’s 15 percent over five and a half months,” he said. “It’s an unheard of pace, from what I’ve been told by state and county emergency management people.”
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick