PHOENIX — Signs of recovery have some Yarnell residents getting into the Christmas mood.
They plan to sing the song “I’ll be Home for Christmas” at Friday afternoon’s dedication of the first six homes to be rebuilt after last June’s massive Yarnell Hill fire.
The public will have the chance to tour the homes starting at 3:30 p.m., followed by the dedication at 5:30. The homes have Christmas lights that will be turned on during the dedication.
Yarnell Hill Recovery Group Director Chuck Tidey said this is a sign that Yarnell is making a comeback.
“It let’s everybody know that we’re on the road to recovery,” he said.
The recovery group used donated funds and volunteers to build five of the homes for uninsured homeowners. The sixth home was built for an insured homeowner by Yarnell Homes, the town’s newest business.
In addition to the home tour, the Yarnell Chamber of Commerce will host a holiday lighting competition Sunday.
“We’ve got three categories,” said Tidey. “The first is personal homes for Yarnell and Glen Ilah. The second is for Peeples Valley and the third category is Commercial Businesses.”
The winners get a $100 gift certificate from local businesses, while the runners up get gift baskets from those businesses.
Tidey said that the area is making an amazing recovery after the fire.
“We had 122 homes burned. Right now, we’ve got at least 18 in the process of being rebuilt. That’s 15 percent over five and a half months,” he said. “It’s an unheard of pace, from what I’ve been told by state and county emergency management people.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier