PHOENIX — A new study said hearing may be tied to weight, but to a Valley doctor it sounds doubtful.
According to the Harvard Nurses Health Study, obese women are 25 percent more likely to report hearing loss than those who aren’t.
The findings were published in the December issue of the American Journal of Medicine.
Dr. Gail Padish Clarin, an audiology director for Banner Cardon Children’s Medical Center in Mesa, questioned the results. None of the women who were tracked were given a hearing test.
Some 68,000 women participated in the study from 1989 to 2009. At the end of the study, they were asked if they suffered any hearing loss and at what age it happened.
“Instead of completing tests to confirm if there is hearing loss, and the type and degree of the loss, they simply asked the patients if they had any hearing loss, and then asked the patients what their degree of hearing loss was,” Clarin said.
“That’s like me asking you to estimate your cholesterol levels (without doing any other testing). It’s like pulling it out of a hat.”
While the study did not prove that obesity directly harmed hearing, Clarin said it can cause high blood pressure, heart disease, and other problems that can cause hearing loss. She believed that more study that includes hearing tests is needed.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon