PITTSBURGH — Two men who helped save six people from drowning during Superstorm Sandy and an Arizona man who rescued a woman from a burning home are among 20 being honored with medals for heroism by the Carnegie Hero Fund Commission.
The awards announced Friday included recognition for Robert P. Davies, of Golden Valley, Ariz., near Kingman, for saving the life of Charlotte Sowards, 92, who was trapped in her bedroom as fire spread in her mobile home.
Davies, who saw the smoke from his house, less than a mile away, went into action.
Other winners included:
• Michael T. McDonnell and Dylan Patrick Smith worked together to save people in Rockaway Beach in Queens during the October 2012 storm.
As their neighborhood flooded with more than 5 feet of water, the 51-year-old McDonnell and 22-year-old Smith created a rescue line to help people, and Smith used his surfboard to paddle to those in distress.
• John Bigwood of Fair Oaks, Calif. In February 2012, Bigwood confronted a gunman in Sacramento who had killed a man and was threatening Glenda J. Gully, 49. Bigwood, 57, put himself between the gunman and Gully, and persuaded the assailant to leave the building.
Other medal winners were from Connecticut, Nebraska, New Hampshire and Texas.
Steel baron Andrew Carnegie was inspired to start the fund after hearing rescue stories from a mine disaster that killed 181 people.
Carnegie medalists or their heirs receive financial grants approved by the commission. More than $35 million has been awarded to 9,653 Carnegie Heroes since the fund’s inception in 1904.
The awards are given four times a year.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon