PHOENIX — A soldier from Scottsdale, Ariz. was among six killed in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan, the Department of Defense said Thursday.
Chief Warrant Officer 2 Joshua B. Silverman was 35 when he died.
Silverman was one of six people that were killed when their Black Hawk helicopter crashed during a mission in southern Afghanistan.
Five of the soldiers killed were based out of Fort Riley, Kan. All were part of the famed First Infantry Division’s First Combat Aviation Brigade.
“We offer our heartfelt condolences to the Families and friends of these ‘Big Red One’ soldiers,” Maj. Gen. Paul E. Funk II, Fort Riley commanding general, said in a release. “We stand ready to support them and I urge our community and the nation, while remembering their sacrifices this holiday season, to do the same.”
One soldier survived the crash.
The cause of the crash is unknown and is being investigated.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon