PHOENIX — A soldier from Scottsdale, Ariz. was among six killed in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan, the Department of Defense said Thursday.
Chief Warrant Officer 2 Joshua B. Silverman was 35 when he died.
Silverman was one of six people that were killed when their Black Hawk helicopter crashed during a mission in southern Afghanistan.
Five of the soldiers killed were based out of Fort Riley, Kan. All were part of the famed First Infantry Division’s First Combat Aviation Brigade.
“We offer our heartfelt condolences to the Families and friends of these ‘Big Red One’ soldiers,” Maj. Gen. Paul E. Funk II, Fort Riley commanding general, said in a release. “We stand ready to support them and I urge our community and the nation, while remembering their sacrifices this holiday season, to do the same.”
One soldier survived the crash.
The cause of the crash is unknown and is being investigated.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.