PHOENIX — It’s official: Harkins Theatre is closing the Camelview 5 to put up a 14-screen complex at Scottsdale Fashion Square, the company announced Thursday.
The Camelview at Fashion Square is expected to open in the spring of 2015.
The announcement comes a few months after the mall had sumbitted a proposal to develop about 142,000 square feet.
“We intend to transplant the soul of our beloved Camelview into this amazing new cinema,” said chain owner Dan Harkins in a released statement. The Harkins family established the business in 1933 with a single theater in Tempe.
Since then Harkins has become the sixth-largest theater chain on the continent.
Opponents of the decision had been protesting online for months, decrying the potential loss of independent and foreign films that the theater was famous locally for showing.
The Camelview 5 opened in 1973 with three screens.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them