PHOENIX — It’s official: Harkins Theatre is closing the Camelview 5 to put up a 14-screen complex at Scottsdale Fashion Square, the company announced Thursday.
The Camelview at Fashion Square is expected to open in the spring of 2015.
The announcement comes a few months after the mall had sumbitted a proposal to develop about 142,000 square feet.
“We intend to transplant the soul of our beloved Camelview into this amazing new cinema,” said chain owner Dan Harkins in a released statement. The Harkins family established the business in 1933 with a single theater in Tempe.
Since then Harkins has become the sixth-largest theater chain on the continent.
Opponents of the decision had been protesting online for months, decrying the potential loss of independent and foreign films that the theater was famous locally for showing.
The Camelview 5 opened in 1973 with three screens.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier