PHOENIX — Teenagers are smoking less synthetic marijuana and may be smoking more real pot, a drug prevention group said.
The National Institutes of Health surveyed thousands of students nationwide and found about 8 percent of high school seniors used some type of synthetic marijuana this year, a drop from the 11 percent in 2012.
“What you have here is a huge shift in attitude because the kids see the dangers of using ‘K2’ or ‘Spice,'” said Shelly Mowery with Prevention Works Arizona.
Mowery said what teenagers don’t see is the danger of marijuana. She laid the blame for that on Arizona’s approval of medical marijuana and the legalization of recreational marijuana in Colorado and Washington.
“This is sending the message to kids that marijuana is socially acceptable and it must not be risky not that it has been legalized in two states.”
The NIH study backs up Mowery. It also found that teenage perceptions of the dangers of marijuana use continued to decline. In 1993, more than 60 percent of high school seniors considered marijuana dangerous, while this year less than 40 percent thought that.
Mowery said more than 30 percent of Arizona’s teens have smoked pot while only 10 percent have tried synthetic marijuana.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy