In a letter, attorneys for the city of Prescott informed the attorney of both Marcia McKee and the homeowners that the claims had been rejected.
The city gave a two-fold reason for rejecting McKee’s claim. The first explanation detailed that McKee’s son, Grant, was a city employee at the time of his death. Claims against an employer are barred by Arizona worker’s compensation laws.
Attorneys also said that a report cited in McKee’s claim from the Arizona Division of Occupational Safety and Health cleared the city of wrongdoing.
The report was also cited as the reason for rejecting the homeowners’ claim.
McKee also filed a claim with the state and Yavapai County seeking $48 million in damages. McKee’s attorney, Craig Knapp, said the claim was not about money but answers.
KTAR legal analyst Monica Lindstrom said the rejected claims do not signify the end of the conversation.
“At this point, if the plaintiffs want to proceed they’ll file a lawsuit in civil court,” she said.
Lindstrom said she is nearly certain both McKee and the homeowners continue their cases.
“They can still settle with the government agencies. These matters do not have to go to trial,” she said.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon