PHOENIX — Five people were arrested on suspicion of drug smuggling after a car chase west of Phoenix on Wednesday.
Several schools in Tolleson were put on lockdown during the chase and its aftermath. Two vehicles had led Department of Public Safety officers on a chase on Interstate 10 through the southwest Valley.
Tolleson Union High School, Porfirio H. Gonzales Elementary School and another school were placed on lockdown while DPS searched for the suspects, who ran away after the car chase ended near 92nd Avenue and McKinley Street.
Five suspects were caught quickly; the sixth remains at large.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement had originally been following the cars after receiving a tip the suspects may have been smuggling drugs.
Three rifles found the vehicles were seized.
The lockdowns were lifted about 12:45 p.m.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon