PHOENIX — It’s called the Mystery Tree, a juniper located in the median just north of the Sunset Point rest area along Interstate 17.
Every year around Thanksgiving, for the past 30 years or so, the tree has been fully decorated. The big question is who’s responsible for the handiwork.
“I’ve never heard who actually does (the decorating) and I like the mystery to stay that way,” said Doug Nintzel of the Arizona Department of Transportation.
He said department crews aren’t decorating the tree with ornaments and tinsel. Officer Carrick Cook, a spokesman for the Department of Public Safety, said patrol officers aren’t the elves.
“About six to eight years ago, the group that does decorate it actually sent us a Christmas card and they took a picture of themselves with their backs turned to conceal their identity,” Cook said. “It’s a tradition and an interesting story and people enjoy that the tree is a mystery and nobody has been able to solve it.”
Cook said the tree is really a miracle tree, because it has survived several brush fires.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon