PHOENIX — It’s called the Mystery Tree, a juniper located in the median just north of the Sunset Point rest area along Interstate 17.
Every year around Thanksgiving, for the past 30 years or so, the tree has been fully decorated. The big question is who’s responsible for the handiwork.
“I’ve never heard who actually does (the decorating) and I like the mystery to stay that way,” said Doug Nintzel of the Arizona Department of Transportation.
He said department crews aren’t decorating the tree with ornaments and tinsel. Officer Carrick Cook, a spokesman for the Department of Public Safety, said patrol officers aren’t the elves.
“About six to eight years ago, the group that does decorate it actually sent us a Christmas card and they took a picture of themselves with their backs turned to conceal their identity,” Cook said. “It’s a tradition and an interesting story and people enjoy that the tree is a mystery and nobody has been able to solve it.”
Cook said the tree is really a miracle tree, because it has survived several brush fires.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America