PHOENIX — The city of Mesa is an extremely safe place to live, according to a report by the FBI.
Mesa was the third-safest city in America last year, based on major crime statistics. The report looked at Part 1 crimes, which include aggravated assaults and thefts, in cities across the country with a population of 400,000 or more.
In 2012 there were 15,945 Part 1 crimes in Mesa, down from the 16,952 the previous year. The East Valley city also ranked the fourth-lowest in the nation for property crimes.
Mesa Police Chief Frank Milstead credited the results to changes he made when he took over the department in 2010.
That’s when he made community outreach a top priority.
“It’s really about getting police officers out of their cars, into the neighborhoods and connecting with the citizens,” Milstead said.
He also credited residents for reporting crimes and for providing witness accounts.
“Without the public’s support and trust in the department we would not be nearly as effective,” he said.
Milstead said overall crime for 2013 is expected to be down 9 percent from last year.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them