PHOENIX — The city of Mesa is an extremely safe place to live, according to a report by the FBI.
Mesa was the third-safest city in America last year, based on major crime statistics. The report looked at Part 1 crimes, which include aggravated assaults and thefts, in cities across the country with a population of 400,000 or more.
In 2012 there were 15,945 Part 1 crimes in Mesa, down from the 16,952 the previous year. The East Valley city also ranked the fourth-lowest in the nation for property crimes.
Mesa Police Chief Frank Milstead credited the results to changes he made when he took over the department in 2010.
That’s when he made community outreach a top priority.
“It’s really about getting police officers out of their cars, into the neighborhoods and connecting with the citizens,” Milstead said.
He also credited residents for reporting crimes and for providing witness accounts.
“Without the public’s support and trust in the department we would not be nearly as effective,” he said.
Milstead said overall crime for 2013 is expected to be down 9 percent from last year.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.