PHOENIX — Four former Phoenix Mayors say the current Phoenix City Council needs to get its act together.
In a letter to the Arizona Republic, Phil Gordon, Terry Goddard, Skip Rimsza and Paul Johnson wrote that they’ve seen a growing divide and heard personal attacks among current city council members that are distracting each of them from doing their jobs.
Gordon told KTAR that needs to change.
“If the trend that the media continues to report continues, we will have deadlock,” said Gordon. “Issues will be based on partisanship, as opposed to the merits based on what is needed.”
One example of the arguments came during an October council vote about pension spiking among city employees. During that debate, Councilman Sal DiCiccio accused Mayor Greg Stanton of trying to rig the vote in his favor.
Stanton told KTAR that he has not attacked anyone on the council.
“I’ve never engaged in any name calling, nor will I. That’s not my leadership style and never will be,” Stanton said.
Stanton defended the job he is doing and said he is excited about Phoenix’s future.
“Everything that I said I was going to do during the campaign is exactly what we are doing,” said Stanton.
DiCiccio said Stanton’s claim isn’t true.
“He’s had to be pushed on pension spiking, and he’s had to be pushed on the food tax vote,” said DiCiccio. “These big problems require big ideas, and there’s definitely a lack of leadership when it comes to that.”
Gordon admits that he also had his issues with council members during his time as mayor. One of those with whom he got angry was DiCiccio. But Gordon claims that the council was always able to work through their differences and get things accomplished.
Since Gordon left office, he said there has been some reconciliation between DiCiccio and himself. Both men said they recently met to talk things over.
DiCiccio said that the Gordon apologized that he got mad at him when Gordon when they served on the council together. DiCiccio said he and Gordon are planning another meet-up this week.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick