PHOENIX — A Valley doctor said the Food and Drug Administration is right to ask for proof that antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers actually prevent people getting sick.
Dr. Thomas Bostwick works in one of the states busiest emergency room’s and he uses soap and water in between visiting up to 30 patients per day.
“I’ve been in medicine for 30 years and in the ER for 20 years with no major illnesses,” he said. “I think people are so attuned to getting something sanitized that every year, when we seemingly have the latest virus that is going to destroy mankind, people thrive on trying to kill everything.”
Bostwick said he uses the same soap-and-water procedure at home. He’s not sold on the merits of the antibacterial soap or the hand sanitizers that workers use to wipe down everything when a co-worker brings a bug into the office. He thinks both are placebos.
“A marketing ploy that makes people feel good,” he said. “Save your money.”
Bostwick has even substituted regular hand soap at home for the antibacterial and his children were none the wiser.
Bostwick said if someone is sick at work, and you touch something they’ve touched, wash your hands as often as you can and don’t touch your mouth or eyes.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy