PHOENIX — A Valley doctor said the Food and Drug Administration is right to ask for proof that antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers actually prevent people getting sick.
Dr. Thomas Bostwick works in one of the states busiest emergency room’s and he uses soap and water in between visiting up to 30 patients per day.
“I’ve been in medicine for 30 years and in the ER for 20 years with no major illnesses,” he said. “I think people are so attuned to getting something sanitized that every year, when we seemingly have the latest virus that is going to destroy mankind, people thrive on trying to kill everything.”
Bostwick said he uses the same soap-and-water procedure at home. He’s not sold on the merits of the antibacterial soap or the hand sanitizers that workers use to wipe down everything when a co-worker brings a bug into the office. He thinks both are placebos.
“A marketing ploy that makes people feel good,” he said. “Save your money.”
Bostwick has even substituted regular hand soap at home for the antibacterial and his children were none the wiser.
Bostwick said if someone is sick at work, and you touch something they’ve touched, wash your hands as often as you can and don’t touch your mouth or eyes.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier