PHOENIX — Ribbon cutting ceremonies were held Tuesday for a new affordable living apartment complex in downtown Phoenix.
The Urban Living on Second complex near 2nd Avenue and Roosevelt Street is offering 70 units to families who have an income that qualifies.
“Those are families earning from about $17,000 a year to about $45,000 a year,” said Diana Yazzie Devine, who is the CEO of a group called Native American Connections, which built the complex.
Rents are based on the tenant’s income. Even though the organization’s goal is to help Native Americans, you do not have to be Native American to live in the complex.
Devine said the complex offers several luxury amenities.
“It has a 24-seat movie theater, a coffee bar, a fitness center and several different conference rooms,” said Devine.
The complex is located near the light rail and within walking distance of several major downtown hotels. Devine said she thinks many of the complex’s tenants will become hotel employees.
The city of Phoenix, the Arizona Department of Housing and several banks all invested money to build the property.
Mayor Greg Stanton said that Urban Living on Second complex is just the first of many that could bring as many as 5,000 more residents in the downtown area.
“In the next few years in downtown Phoenix, you’re going to see thousands and thousands of new residences,” the Mayor said. “It’s going to become a neighborhood, and it’s going to change the face of our city.”
About half of the complex’s 70 units have already been claimed. If you would like to find out how to rent one, you can email Native American Connections at UL2@nativeconnections.org or call 602-648-9757.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food