PHOENIX — If Phoenix Councilwoman Thelda Williams gets her way, you won’t be winning any goldfish at the carnival or a turtle at the fair.
Williams wants to ban the practice of giving live animals, reptiles, fish and birds as prizes.
“I don’t want to see a puppy thrown on the street on the way home,” Williams said. “Or a goldfish in a garbage can or dumped down into our water system.”
Earlier this year, Fountain Hills banned the practice of giving live animals as prizes. Williams believes there is enough support on the Phoenix council to approve the ban when it meets on Wednesday, which is also when it is expected to vote on pet store restrictions: Williams wants to ban stores from selling dogs and cats obtained from large, commercial breeders — often referred to as puppy mills.
If the Phoenix council approves the ordinances, they will take effect in 30 days. In both cases, Williams said violators could face misdemeanor charges.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon