PHOENIX — If Phoenix Councilwoman Thelda Williams gets her way, you won’t be winning any goldfish at the carnival or a turtle at the fair.
Williams wants to ban the practice of giving live animals, reptiles, fish and birds as prizes.
“I don’t want to see a puppy thrown on the street on the way home,” Williams said. “Or a goldfish in a garbage can or dumped down into our water system.”
Earlier this year, Fountain Hills banned the practice of giving live animals as prizes. Williams believes there is enough support on the Phoenix council to approve the ban when it meets on Wednesday, which is also when it is expected to vote on pet store restrictions: Williams wants to ban stores from selling dogs and cats obtained from large, commercial breeders — often referred to as puppy mills.
If the Phoenix council approves the ordinances, they will take effect in 30 days. In both cases, Williams said violators could face misdemeanor charges.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments