PHOENIX — An unmarked Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office vehicle was involved in a serious crash Monday, a Glendale Police Department official said.
The crash occurred near 59th Avenue and Northern.
Glendale Police Sgt. Jay O’Neill said the MCSO vehicle was traveling northbound on 59th Avenue when a silver Nissan pulled in front of him as the driver was making a left turn.
O’Neill said the MCSO deputy, identified as Sean Pearce, driving the vehicle was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.
The elderly driver of the other vehicle, 63-year-old John Edward Harding, was hospitalized with life-threatening injuries and passed away a few hours later.
Police do not believe speed or impairment are factors.
The intersection of 59th Avenue was closed between Glendale Avenue and Orangewood as a result of the crash. Police reopened the roadway about 6:30 p.m..
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths