PHOENIX — Phoenix could soon follow the lead of Los Angeles and San Diego by restricting sales at pet stores.
On Wednesday, the city council will vote on banning stores from selling dogs and cats obtained from large, commercial breeders, often referred to as “puppy mills.”
“They’re into quantity, never quality,” said council member Thelda Williams. “They treat the puppies horribly.”
Williams believes there is enough support among council members to approve the ban and to require stores to only sell dogs and cats they get from shelters and non-profit rescue groups.
“We support local business, we’re not putting them out of business,” said Williams. “We are giving them an option where they can get dogs. I think if the big stores can survive really well on it, the little ones can too.”
Many big retailers, like Phoenix-based PetSmart, work with animal-welfare groups to run adoption programs in their stores. In 2011, Macerich, the company that owns several shopping malls in the Valley, announced it will not renew existing pet store leases.
The proposed ban would not apply to small, local breeders.
If Phoenix councilmembers approve the ordinance, it would take effect in 30 days. Williams said violators could face misdemeanor charges.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night