PHOENIX — Phoenix could soon follow the lead of Los Angeles and San Diego by restricting sales at pet stores.
On Wednesday, the city council will vote on banning stores from selling dogs and cats obtained from large, commercial breeders, often referred to as “puppy mills.”
“They’re into quantity, never quality,” said council member Thelda Williams. “They treat the puppies horribly.”
Williams believes there is enough support among council members to approve the ban and to require stores to only sell dogs and cats they get from shelters and non-profit rescue groups.
“We support local business, we’re not putting them out of business,” said Williams. “We are giving them an option where they can get dogs. I think if the big stores can survive really well on it, the little ones can too.”
Many big retailers, like Phoenix-based PetSmart, work with animal-welfare groups to run adoption programs in their stores. In 2011, Macerich, the company that owns several shopping malls in the Valley, announced it will not renew existing pet store leases.
The proposed ban would not apply to small, local breeders.
If Phoenix councilmembers approve the ordinance, it would take effect in 30 days. Williams said violators could face misdemeanor charges.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them