PHOENIX — Phoenix could soon follow the lead of Los Angeles and San Diego by restricting sales at pet stores.
On Wednesday, the city council will vote on banning stores from selling dogs and cats obtained from large, commercial breeders, often referred to as “puppy mills.”
“They’re into quantity, never quality,” said council member Thelda Williams. “They treat the puppies horribly.”
Williams believes there is enough support among council members to approve the ban and to require stores to only sell dogs and cats they get from shelters and non-profit rescue groups.
“We support local business, we’re not putting them out of business,” said Williams. “We are giving them an option where they can get dogs. I think if the big stores can survive really well on it, the little ones can too.”
Many big retailers, like Phoenix-based PetSmart, work with animal-welfare groups to run adoption programs in their stores. In 2011, Macerich, the company that owns several shopping malls in the Valley, announced it will not renew existing pet store leases.
The proposed ban would not apply to small, local breeders.
If Phoenix councilmembers approve the ordinance, it would take effect in 30 days. Williams said violators could face misdemeanor charges.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns