PHOENIX — It turns out not all pharmacies in Arizona are charging customers what they said they were.
Throughout November and December, inspectors from the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures conducted unannounced price audits on medications at different pharmacies.
“We wanted to make sure that when they’re putting these things on sale, that’s what you’re paying at the register,” said Shawn Marquez, director of the compliance program for the department.
The audit involved scanning more than 950 cold and flu products. Of the 36 businesses inspected, 33 were correctly charging customers for medication. Stores that overcharged customers were fined $600 each.
Despite the fines, Marquez said more companies were undercharging customers than overcharging.
The department also looked at whether or not the prices of pharmacy products were clearly marked on store shelves. Of the 4,407 items audited, 99 percent were in compliance.
Under state law, any item found missing a price or found with a scanning discrepancy must be fixed within 30 minutes or the products are removed from the sales floor.
Marquez said despite the audit’s high compliance rate, it’s always a good idea to pay attention at the register to make sure items ring up correctly.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy