PHOENIX — It turns out not all pharmacies in Arizona are charging customers what they said they were.
Throughout November and December, inspectors from the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures conducted unannounced price audits on medications at different pharmacies.
“We wanted to make sure that when they’re putting these things on sale, that’s what you’re paying at the register,” said Shawn Marquez, director of the compliance program for the department.
The audit involved scanning more than 950 cold and flu products. Of the 36 businesses inspected, 33 were correctly charging customers for medication. Stores that overcharged customers were fined $600 each.
Despite the fines, Marquez said more companies were undercharging customers than overcharging.
The department also looked at whether or not the prices of pharmacy products were clearly marked on store shelves. Of the 4,407 items audited, 99 percent were in compliance.
Under state law, any item found missing a price or found with a scanning discrepancy must be fixed within 30 minutes or the products are removed from the sales floor.
Marquez said despite the audit’s high compliance rate, it’s always a good idea to pay attention at the register to make sure items ring up correctly.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life