PHOENIX — It turns out not all pharmacies in Arizona are charging customers what they said they were.
Throughout November and December, inspectors from the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures conducted unannounced price audits on medications at different pharmacies.
“We wanted to make sure that when they’re putting these things on sale, that’s what you’re paying at the register,” said Shawn Marquez, director of the compliance program for the department.
The audit involved scanning more than 950 cold and flu products. Of the 36 businesses inspected, 33 were correctly charging customers for medication. Stores that overcharged customers were fined $600 each.
Despite the fines, Marquez said more companies were undercharging customers than overcharging.
The department also looked at whether or not the prices of pharmacy products were clearly marked on store shelves. Of the 4,407 items audited, 99 percent were in compliance.
Under state law, any item found missing a price or found with a scanning discrepancy must be fixed within 30 minutes or the products are removed from the sales floor.
Marquez said despite the audit’s high compliance rate, it’s always a good idea to pay attention at the register to make sure items ring up correctly.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier