PHOENIX — Golf fans will see some new things at the next Waste Management Phoenix Open.
Fans will be greeted with tighter security and slightly higher ticket prices.
Tournament Chairman Tom King said every fan coming into the TPC of Scottsdale will be wanded.
“In light of things like (bombing of) the Boston Marathon, and the fact that our event is 500,000-plus (people) event … we thought we should put some policies in place,” King said. “If you’re doing it the right way, and we’re planning it out well in advance, it should be a smooth operation.”
King said the tournament enlisted the help of Arizona Cardinals President Michael Bidwill to develop a security policy. He said that the procedures will be much the same as fans go through to get into Arizona Cardinals games at University of Phoenix stadium.
Ticket prices will be higher for the tournament, up from $25 to $30.
“It’s the first increase in eight years,” King said. “We took all of that money and we want to invest it back into different things to make it a better experience for the fan.”
One of those things are ten new cabanas that will be at the 18th hole.
King said there’s a good field of players shaping up for this year’s tournament.
“We’ve got Lee Westwood coming for the first time, and that’s a big name,” King said. “Padre Harrington had so much fun from Ireland that he’s coming back, Ricky Fowler is in, Bubba Watson of course is in.”
Defending champion Phil Mickelson — a three-time winner — will also be there.
O.A.R., Jake Owen, Weezel and Metalhead will be playing at the Bird’s Nest during the tournament, which takes place Jan. 29 through Feb. 2.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development