PHOENIX — Golf fans will see some new things at the next Waste Management Phoenix Open.
Fans will be greeted with tighter security and slightly higher ticket prices.
Tournament Chairman Tom King said every fan coming into the TPC of Scottsdale will be wanded.
“In light of things like (bombing of) the Boston Marathon, and the fact that our event is 500,000-plus (people) event … we thought we should put some policies in place,” King said. “If you’re doing it the right way, and we’re planning it out well in advance, it should be a smooth operation.”
King said the tournament enlisted the help of Arizona Cardinals President Michael Bidwill to develop a security policy. He said that the procedures will be much the same as fans go through to get into Arizona Cardinals games at University of Phoenix stadium.
Ticket prices will be higher for the tournament, up from $25 to $30.
“It’s the first increase in eight years,” King said. “We took all of that money and we want to invest it back into different things to make it a better experience for the fan.”
One of those things are ten new cabanas that will be at the 18th hole.
King said there’s a good field of players shaping up for this year’s tournament.
“We’ve got Lee Westwood coming for the first time, and that’s a big name,” King said. “Padre Harrington had so much fun from Ireland that he’s coming back, Ricky Fowler is in, Bubba Watson of course is in.”
Defending champion Phil Mickelson — a three-time winner — will also be there.
O.A.R., Jake Owen, Weezel and Metalhead will be playing at the Bird’s Nest during the tournament, which takes place Jan. 29 through Feb. 2.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.