PHOENIX — Golf fans will see some new things at the next Waste Management Phoenix Open.
Fans will be greeted with tighter security and slightly higher ticket prices.
Tournament Chairman Tom King said every fan coming into the TPC of Scottsdale will be wanded.
“In light of things like (bombing of) the Boston Marathon, and the fact that our event is 500,000-plus (people) event … we thought we should put some policies in place,” King said. “If you’re doing it the right way, and we’re planning it out well in advance, it should be a smooth operation.”
King said the tournament enlisted the help of Arizona Cardinals President Michael Bidwill to develop a security policy. He said that the procedures will be much the same as fans go through to get into Arizona Cardinals games at University of Phoenix stadium.
Ticket prices will be higher for the tournament, up from $25 to $30.
“It’s the first increase in eight years,” King said. “We took all of that money and we want to invest it back into different things to make it a better experience for the fan.”
One of those things are ten new cabanas that will be at the 18th hole.
King said there’s a good field of players shaping up for this year’s tournament.
“We’ve got Lee Westwood coming for the first time, and that’s a big name,” King said. “Padre Harrington had so much fun from Ireland that he’s coming back, Ricky Fowler is in, Bubba Watson of course is in.”
Defending champion Phil Mickelson — a three-time winner — will also be there.
O.A.R., Jake Owen, Weezel and Metalhead will be playing at the Bird’s Nest during the tournament, which takes place Jan. 29 through Feb. 2.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees