Phoenix — It opened just a few years ago, but officials at Grand Canyon University are already going to make changes at GCU Arena.
The 5,000 seat arena is the home court of GCU’s basketball team, and the school has recently jumped to NCAA Division I sports.
Former Arizona Diamondbacks President Jerry Colangelo is now with Grand Canyon University. During a Saturday appearance on KTAR’s Arizona’s Morning News Weekend show, Colangelo said the arena is too small.
“If GCU knew when the building went up just a couple of years ago that they would be in Division I as quickly as we have, it would have been built bigger,” Colangelo said.
“We need more seats for next season, and we’ve figured out a way to add 2,000 more seats.”
Even though the building will seat 7,000 next year, Colangelo insists that every seat will be close to the action. “It will be a very intimate arena,” he said.
“When you have 7,000 standing-room-only people watching basketball, I love that because in basketball, intimacy sells.”
Colangelo said that’s what he had in mind when he led the building of America West Arena in downtown Phoenix in the early 1990s. He says that arena, which is now known as U.S. Airways Center, has remained intimate through all of these years as the home court of the Phoenix Suns.
He said that the arena needs to expand to keep pace with the school’s growth. The university has some 8,500 students now. It’s projected to jump to 15,000 within the next few years.
In addition to basketball, GCU Arena also hosts many Christian concerts and events.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon