Phoenix — It opened just a few years ago, but officials at Grand Canyon University are already going to make changes at GCU Arena.
The 5,000 seat arena is the home court of GCU’s basketball team, and the school has recently jumped to NCAA Division I sports.
Former Arizona Diamondbacks President Jerry Colangelo is now with Grand Canyon University. During a Saturday appearance on KTAR’s Arizona’s Morning News Weekend show, Colangelo said the arena is too small.
“If GCU knew when the building went up just a couple of years ago that they would be in Division I as quickly as we have, it would have been built bigger,” Colangelo said.
“We need more seats for next season, and we’ve figured out a way to add 2,000 more seats.”
Even though the building will seat 7,000 next year, Colangelo insists that every seat will be close to the action. “It will be a very intimate arena,” he said.
“When you have 7,000 standing-room-only people watching basketball, I love that because in basketball, intimacy sells.”
Colangelo said that’s what he had in mind when he led the building of America West Arena in downtown Phoenix in the early 1990s. He says that arena, which is now known as U.S. Airways Center, has remained intimate through all of these years as the home court of the Phoenix Suns.
He said that the arena needs to expand to keep pace with the school’s growth. The university has some 8,500 students now. It’s projected to jump to 15,000 within the next few years.
In addition to basketball, GCU Arena also hosts many Christian concerts and events.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns