Phoenix — It opened just a few years ago, but officials at Grand Canyon University are already going to make changes at GCU Arena.
The 5,000 seat arena is the home court of GCU’s basketball team, and the school has recently jumped to NCAA Division I sports.
Former Arizona Diamondbacks President Jerry Colangelo is now with Grand Canyon University. During a Saturday appearance on KTAR’s Arizona’s Morning News Weekend show, Colangelo said the arena is too small.
“If GCU knew when the building went up just a couple of years ago that they would be in Division I as quickly as we have, it would have been built bigger,” Colangelo said.
“We need more seats for next season, and we’ve figured out a way to add 2,000 more seats.”
Even though the building will seat 7,000 next year, Colangelo insists that every seat will be close to the action. “It will be a very intimate arena,” he said.
“When you have 7,000 standing-room-only people watching basketball, I love that because in basketball, intimacy sells.”
Colangelo said that’s what he had in mind when he led the building of America West Arena in downtown Phoenix in the early 1990s. He says that arena, which is now known as U.S. Airways Center, has remained intimate through all of these years as the home court of the Phoenix Suns.
He said that the arena needs to expand to keep pace with the school’s growth. The university has some 8,500 students now. It’s projected to jump to 15,000 within the next few years.
In addition to basketball, GCU Arena also hosts many Christian concerts and events.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain