PHOENIX — Tempe Police said a carjacking and robbery suspect may not survive after he jumped off a bridge early Friday morning to avoid capture.
Sgt. Michael Pooley said the suspect pretended to be a security guard and used a Taser to steal a car from a woman at Tempe Marketplace on Thursday night.
Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said the man, described as in his 50s or 60s, then robbed an adult bookstore in Mesa before disappearing again.
The car was seen Friday morning and the Department of Public Safety gave chase on westbound Loop 202. The chase, during which the suspect was driving more 100 mph, ended near the McClintock Drive ramp.
“The suspect immediately got out of the car, ran and jumped over the bridge and I don’t think he realized what he was jumping over,” Pooley said. “It’s about an eight-story drop” into a empty water-retention area, where it took crews an hour to get him out and on the way to the hospital.
Police closed the right three lanes Loop 202 west at McClintock, along with the ramp from Loop 101 Pima south to Loop 202 west.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments