PHOENIX — Tempe Police said a carjacking and robbery suspect may not survive after he jumped off a bridge early Friday morning to avoid capture.
Sgt. Michael Pooley said the suspect pretended to be a security guard and used a Taser to steal a car from a woman at Tempe Marketplace on Thursday night.
Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said the man, described as in his 50s or 60s, then robbed an adult bookstore in Mesa before disappearing again.
The car was seen Friday morning and the Department of Public Safety gave chase on westbound Loop 202. The chase, during which the suspect was driving more 100 mph, ended near the McClintock Drive ramp.
“The suspect immediately got out of the car, ran and jumped over the bridge and I don’t think he realized what he was jumping over,” Pooley said. “It’s about an eight-story drop” into a empty water-retention area, where it took crews an hour to get him out and on the way to the hospital.
Police closed the right three lanes Loop 202 west at McClintock, along with the ramp from Loop 101 Pima south to Loop 202 west.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night