PHOENIX — Valley basketball fans can check out potential future college and NBA stars this weekend in Phoenix.
The first ever Hoophall West high school tournament tournament is at Grand Canyon University Arena. It’s a western version of the Naismith Hall of Fame’s Hoophall Classic that takes place this January in Springfield, Mass.
Hoophall West Chairman Jerry Colangelo is excited for the event.
“It’s a great opportunity for people who love high school basketball to see some of the really best players and teams. For the people involved in the recruiting area of college basketball, it’s a great opportunity to see some players,” Colangelo said. “More importantly, It’s just bringing more basketball into our community, and, to me, that’s what it’s all about. Raising the bar. Raising the interest.”
Colangelo said that several top teams from Arizona high schools will be playing.
“Corona Del Sol, Chapparral, Westview, Mesquite, Desert Mountain, Gilbert High, Shadow Mountain and Milennium,” said Colangelo.
There were also be schools from California and other states.
The tournament features several players who could become college stars.
“One player who is ranked number nine on the ESPN top 100 is Stanley Johnson of Mater Dei High School (in California),” Colangelo said. “He’s already committed to the University of Arizona.”
The two-day tournament features eight games, four on Friday and four on Saturday.
For Hoophall West ticket information click herehttp://thehoophallclassic.com/west/ticket_info.php.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon