PHOENIX — It could be the only dog park of its kind in the nation and it is opening in central Phoenix Saturday.
PetSmart, Inc. created the pop-up dog park concept. Everything needed to set up a space just for dogs and its owners comes in a metal shipping container.
“There’s fencing inside that can be assembled, there’s ramps for access, there’s clean-up stations,” said Brian Kiesling, director of government affairs for Phoenix-based PetSmart. “There are even movable benches that can be used for seating.”
PetSmart’s pop-up park, called PuP, is part of an initiative by the city of Phoenix to beautify vacant spaces across the city that can be used for other purposes by the community. Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton designated the northeast corner of Central Avenue and Indian School Road as the PHX Renews lot. Now, the space will include the pop-up park. If the concept is successful, PetSmart will look to expand the idea.
“If this park is successful and the community appreciates it and enjoys it, we certainly are open to doing this in other parts across Phoenix and even across the country,” Kiesling said.
An advantage of the pop-up-park is that it is portable and can be taken to other places around the city if it is needed. PetSmart considers the mobile aspect of the park as an avenue to host pet adoptions, or other charitable events.
“We can host relief efforts and mobile spay and neuter site,” said Kiesling.
Once the dog park is deployed from the container, it will turn into a 6,500-square-foot space for the community to enjoy. PetSmart donated $50,000 to make the PuP happen. According to Kiesling, the agreement with the city of Phoenix stipulates that the city maintains the space.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.