PHOENIX — One year after President Barack Obama pledged “meaningful action” on gun violence following the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., a Valley activist said Congress has failed to act.
Hildy Saizow, head of Arizonans for Gun Safety, said some states are moving ahead with tougher gun measures and won’t be waiting on Congress.
“We have Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland, New York and New Jersey among others.”
Arizona legislators failed to enact any measure regarding stricter gun measures.
Saizow said 90 percent of Arizonans believe background checks should be mandatory on every gun sale and she will continue to press for that next year.
“We are divided in this country,” she said. “We know there’s a minority of people that want no changes on gun laws. A majority of people don’t want the status quo. There are places in the process where we can make a difference. Not only do we need to identify the severely mentally ill and provide services to address the problem. And others around these individuals need to do a better job of not making firearms accessible.”
All of the guns that Newtown killer Adam Lanza carried into Sandy Hook Elementary were owned and registered by his mother Nancy with whom he lived.
A ceremony to remember the 20 children and six educators killed in the shooting will be held Saturday at 9:35 a.m. at Memorial Presbyterian Church, located in Phoenix at 4141 E. Thomas Road.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon