PHOENIX — One year after President Barack Obama pledged “meaningful action” on gun violence following the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., a Valley activist said Congress has failed to act.
Hildy Saizow, head of Arizonans for Gun Safety, said some states are moving ahead with tougher gun measures and won’t be waiting on Congress.
“We have Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland, New York and New Jersey among others.”
Arizona legislators failed to enact any measure regarding stricter gun measures.
Saizow said 90 percent of Arizonans believe background checks should be mandatory on every gun sale and she will continue to press for that next year.
“We are divided in this country,” she said. “We know there’s a minority of people that want no changes on gun laws. A majority of people don’t want the status quo. There are places in the process where we can make a difference. Not only do we need to identify the severely mentally ill and provide services to address the problem. And others around these individuals need to do a better job of not making firearms accessible.”
All of the guns that Newtown killer Adam Lanza carried into Sandy Hook Elementary were owned and registered by his mother Nancy with whom he lived.
A ceremony to remember the 20 children and six educators killed in the shooting will be held Saturday at 9:35 a.m. at Memorial Presbyterian Church, located in Phoenix at 4141 E. Thomas Road.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier