PHOENIX — The holidays will get a bit more magical for 70 Tempe children Saturday when a group of firefighters will take them shopping.
“One of the great things about being a firefighter is the chance to serve Tempe when we’re not out at an emergency,” said Brad Whitley, the firefighter’s union leader of charity events and a seven-year fire veteran. “We’re excited to have such a large group this year. The kids have a great time shopping and so do we.”
The shopping spree will take place at the Target store at 1818 E. Baseline Road at 9 a.m. It’s funded by the union and the retailer.
“For a lot of kids all over Tempe, this event is the difference between a holiday full of smiles and one more tough day among many,” said Don Jongewaard, president of the Tempe firefighters union. “Thanks to Target and our members, we can make the kids feel great and we get to help our community at a very special time of year.”
Santa will make an appearance after the shopping trip to help wrap presents.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon