PHOENIX — Former Valley resident and three-time Waste Management Phoenix Open Champion Phil Mickelson has been named to the tournament’s hall of fame.
The announcement was made during a Thursday luncheon at the Phoenician Resort.
Mickelson said he is honored.
“I have such strong ties, friendships, and relationships here in the Valley that to be a part of the history of athletics here in the valley means a lot to me,” he said.
Former Arizona Diamondbacks President Jerry Colangelo, a long-time friend of Mickelson, said that adding Mickelson to the hall of fame is a good choice.
“When his playing days are over, he’ll be considered one of the greatest of all time,” Colangelo said.
Mickelson also said he has made some improvements to his clubs and is excited about the future.
“Starting next year, I’m going to see myself playing some of the best golf of my career,” he said. “That’s because I’m driving it better than I ever have, and now I’ll get to have more of my strength, which is my irons and my short game.”
No one has ever won the Waste Management Phoenix Open four times.
“Well, that’s something that I’m going to be working on,” Mickelson joked.
The 2014 Waste Management Phoenix Open is Jan. 30 through Feb. 2 at the TPC of Scottsdale.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night