PHOENIX — Former Valley resident and three-time Waste Management Phoenix Open Champion Phil Mickelson has been named to the tournament’s hall of fame.
The announcement was made during a Thursday luncheon at the Phoenician Resort.
Mickelson said he is honored.
“I have such strong ties, friendships, and relationships here in the Valley that to be a part of the history of athletics here in the valley means a lot to me,” he said.
Former Arizona Diamondbacks President Jerry Colangelo, a long-time friend of Mickelson, said that adding Mickelson to the hall of fame is a good choice.
“When his playing days are over, he’ll be considered one of the greatest of all time,” Colangelo said.
Mickelson also said he has made some improvements to his clubs and is excited about the future.
“Starting next year, I’m going to see myself playing some of the best golf of my career,” he said. “That’s because I’m driving it better than I ever have, and now I’ll get to have more of my strength, which is my irons and my short game.”
No one has ever won the Waste Management Phoenix Open four times.
“Well, that’s something that I’m going to be working on,” Mickelson joked.
The 2014 Waste Management Phoenix Open is Jan. 30 through Feb. 2 at the TPC of Scottsdale.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food