PHOENIX — Dozens of Arizona children and spouses fallen U.S. military members will spend the next five days in Texas courtesy of the American Airlines Kids in Need program.
The eighth annual Snowball Express will carry the families to Dallas for a few days of fun and friendship, which includes a trip to Six Flags Over Texas, among many other destinations.
Travis Colvill, 15, lost his father in 2004 and is looking forward to sharing experiences with fellow teens who lost a parent in Afghanistan or Iraq.
“Just knowing they’ve been through the same experiences, it is awesome to regroup every year.”
He said he doesn’t expect to get a lot of sleep in Texas because there are so many things planned.
The cost of the entire trip including the events, hotels and food is picked up by American Airlines.
Travis’ mom, Nicole Mueller, teared up about what this program has meant for her son.
“We’ve been making the trip for six years and it’s the one organization that has helped my son.”
Jennifer Mendez of Sierra Vista lost her husband in Iraq in 2006 and said her children made most of their friends through the Snowball Express. Her daughter, Cheyenne, is ready for reuniting with teens who know where she’s at.
“It helps me cope with my feelings,” Cheyenne said. “Hanging out with people who’ve been through the same thing.”
In total, 56 Arizonans are part of the trip along with almost 2,000 children and spouses of American soldiers from across the nation.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food