PHOENIX — Arizona has been rated No. 28 in the country for overall health, according to an annual assessment.
America’s Health Rankings released its findings this week. Hawaii was the healthiest state.
Factors included spending on public health, crime rates, infant mortality, and air pollution.
The report noted that for the first time in many years, the country’s obesity rate didn’t climb. In Arizona, more than a million adults are physically inactive and nearly 1.4 million are obese.
Arizona ranked 10th in smoking, “very good,” said Dr. Reed Tuckson, former chief of medical affairs for UnitedHealth. The state is 16th in obesity and 35th in diabetes. Other notations about the state in the study:
• Low occupational fatality rate
• Low rate of preventable hospitalizations
• Low rates of cancer deaths & cardiovascular deaths
• High rate of drug deaths
• Low high school graduation rate
• Large disparity in health status by educational attainment
Rounding out the top five healthiest states were Vermont, which was No. 1 last year, Minnesota, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
The report has been issued since 1990.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas