PHOENIX — Arizona has been rated No. 28 in the country for overall health, according to an annual assessment.
America’s Health Rankings released its findings this week. Hawaii was the healthiest state.
Factors included spending on public health, crime rates, infant mortality, and air pollution.
The report noted that for the first time in many years, the country’s obesity rate didn’t climb. In Arizona, more than a million adults are physically inactive and nearly 1.4 million are obese.
Arizona ranked 10th in smoking, “very good,” said Dr. Reed Tuckson, former chief of medical affairs for UnitedHealth. The state is 16th in obesity and 35th in diabetes. Other notations about the state in the study:
• Low occupational fatality rate
• Low rate of preventable hospitalizations
• Low rates of cancer deaths & cardiovascular deaths
• High rate of drug deaths
• Low high school graduation rate
• Large disparity in health status by educational attainment
Rounding out the top five healthiest states were Vermont, which was No. 1 last year, Minnesota, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
The report has been issued since 1990.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick