PHOENIX — Ex-Phoenix police officer Richard Chrisman has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in deal
that spares him a second trial.
Chrisman was convicted of aggravated assault in September in the shooting death of Danny F. Rodriguez in 2010. Chrisman had responded to a domestic violence call and during the confrontation shot the unarmed Rodriguez and also killed the man’s dog.
The jury was unable to reach verdicts on a second-degree murder charge.
Chrisman claimed self-defense but under oath his partner Sergio Virgillo said it wasn’t.
Sentencing is set for Dec. 20. He could be in prison anywhere from five to 15 years on the manslaughter and assault charges, to be served concurrently.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets