PHOENIX — Ex-Phoenix police officer Richard Chrisman has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in deal
that spares him a second trial.
Chrisman was convicted of aggravated assault in September in the shooting death of Danny F. Rodriguez in 2010. Chrisman had responded to a domestic violence call and during the confrontation shot the unarmed Rodriguez and also killed the man’s dog.
The jury was unable to reach verdicts on a second-degree murder charge.
Chrisman claimed self-defense but under oath his partner Sergio Virgillo said it wasn’t.
Sentencing is set for Dec. 20. He could be in prison anywhere from five to 15 years on the manslaughter and assault charges, to be served concurrently.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night