Authorities from the Maricopa County Animal Crimes Investigation Unit responded on Saturday to an alert that a horse had been shot in the head.
When they arrived to the desert area of 243rd Avenue and Patton Road in Wittmann, Ariz., they found the horse still alive and sifting the ground for food.
The horse, a female, was presumed to be in her late 20s to early 30s. She is currently in the custody of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office and is in serious condition. She is being cared for by a crew of inmates and veterinarians from Durango Equine Veterinary Clinic in Buckeye.
It is unknown at this time if the horse will survive.
The investigation remains open and active, as detectives have no leads. If anyone has any information about this case, they are being asked to please call the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office Animal Crimes Hotline at 602-876-1681.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick