Authorities from the Maricopa County Animal Crimes Investigation Unit responded on Saturday to an alert that a horse had been shot in the head.
When they arrived to the desert area of 243rd Avenue and Patton Road in Wittmann, Ariz., they found the horse still alive and sifting the ground for food.
The horse, a female, was presumed to be in her late 20s to early 30s. She is currently in the custody of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office and is in serious condition. She is being cared for by a crew of inmates and veterinarians from Durango Equine Veterinary Clinic in Buckeye.
It is unknown at this time if the horse will survive.
The investigation remains open and active, as detectives have no leads. If anyone has any information about this case, they are being asked to please call the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office Animal Crimes Hotline at 602-876-1681.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development