Authorities from the Maricopa County Animal Crimes Investigation Unit responded on Saturday to an alert that a horse had been shot in the head.
When they arrived to the desert area of 243rd Avenue and Patton Road in Wittmann, Ariz., they found the horse still alive and sifting the ground for food.
The horse, a female, was presumed to be in her late 20s to early 30s. She is currently in the custody of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office and is in serious condition. She is being cared for by a crew of inmates and veterinarians from Durango Equine Veterinary Clinic in Buckeye.
It is unknown at this time if the horse will survive.
The investigation remains open and active, as detectives have no leads. If anyone has any information about this case, they are being asked to please call the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office Animal Crimes Hotline at 602-876-1681.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns