PHOENIX — Valley firefighters invaded downtown Phoenix on Tuesday to help the Salvation Army raise money for the less fortunate this holiday season.
“What a lot of people don’t realize is that the average age of a homeless person here in Arizona is seven,” said Phoenix Fire Capt. Rich Bauer. “The overwhelming majority of homeless people are children, and that’s our focus right now during the holidays.”
The firefighters became Salvation Army bell ringers, standing on Washington Street for several hours and raising approximately $4,000 to help the Valley’s needy.
While Bauer said the donations were appreciated, there is more work to be done.
“To date, [donations to] the Salvation Army [are] down by 37 percent compared to last year, so we are trying to do what we can to bring those numbers back up,” said Bauer.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon