PHOENIX — Valley firefighters invaded downtown Phoenix on Tuesday to help the Salvation Army raise money for the less fortunate this holiday season.
“What a lot of people don’t realize is that the average age of a homeless person here in Arizona is seven,” said Phoenix Fire Capt. Rich Bauer. “The overwhelming majority of homeless people are children, and that’s our focus right now during the holidays.”
The firefighters became Salvation Army bell ringers, standing on Washington Street for several hours and raising approximately $4,000 to help the Valley’s needy.
While Bauer said the donations were appreciated, there is more work to be done.
“To date, [donations to] the Salvation Army [are] down by 37 percent compared to last year, so we are trying to do what we can to bring those numbers back up,” said Bauer.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development