What was once envisioned as a winter wonderland in the desert, Santa Claus, Ariz. is now a dust bowl of a ghost town.
Faded red and white wooden buildings with brick chimneys sit in disrepair. A sign indicating the office of Santa’s Land is weathered, the word ‘Office’ nearly completely blocked out. The little pink train that choo-choo’d little kids around the park grounds has sat idle among weeds and graffiti for decades.
California real estate developer Nina Talbot and her husband founded Santa Claus in 1937 “with the hopes of turning the desolate wasteland into a place where families could settle and live the suburban dream,” according to the Daily Mail.
The Talbots purposely set out to create North Pole-themed buildings and build a Santa Claus Land to attract families with children, with the idea that people wanted to live in Christmastown year-round.
By 1949, however, the Talbots sold the land, after no investors joined in their holly-jolly gamble.
The town, located about 90 miles south of Las Vegas in the Mojave Desert, did briefly become popular as a tacky tourist attraction, but after the 1970s, Santa Claus let itself go.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development