PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. John McCain compared a Tuesday handshake between President Barack Obama and Cuban leader Raul Castro to that shared between former British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain and former Nazi leader Adolf Hitler prior to World War II.
According to the Washington Post, McCain made the comments after Obama attended a remembrance ceremony for former South African President Nelson Mandela.
“It gives Raul some propaganda to continue to prop up his dictatorial, brutal regime, that’s all,” McCain said sarcastically.
McCain then took things a step further.
“Neville Chamberlain shook hands with Hitler,” he said, referring to the British prime minister’s infamous handshake with the German dictator as Britain was negotiating Germany’s takeover of the Sudentenland. The agreement paved the way for the spread of Germany’s military across Europe.
McCain said Obama never should have shaken hands with Castro because Cuba still has Americans imprisoned.
Other Republican leaders said Obama should have used the moment to talk to Castro about human rights.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier