PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. John McCain compared a Tuesday handshake between President Barack Obama and Cuban leader Raul Castro to that shared between former British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain and former Nazi leader Adolf Hitler prior to World War II.
According to the Washington Post, McCain made the comments after Obama attended a remembrance ceremony for former South African President Nelson Mandela.
“It gives Raul some propaganda to continue to prop up his dictatorial, brutal regime, that’s all,” McCain said sarcastically.
McCain then took things a step further.
“Neville Chamberlain shook hands with Hitler,” he said, referring to the British prime minister’s infamous handshake with the German dictator as Britain was negotiating Germany’s takeover of the Sudentenland. The agreement paved the way for the spread of Germany’s military across Europe.
McCain said Obama never should have shaken hands with Castro because Cuba still has Americans imprisoned.
Other Republican leaders said Obama should have used the moment to talk to Castro about human rights.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets