PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. John McCain compared a Tuesday handshake between President Barack Obama and Cuban leader Raul Castro to that shared between former British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain and former Nazi leader Adolf Hitler prior to World War II.
According to the Washington Post, McCain made the comments after Obama attended a remembrance ceremony for former South African President Nelson Mandela.
“It gives Raul some propaganda to continue to prop up his dictatorial, brutal regime, that’s all,” McCain said sarcastically.
McCain then took things a step further.
“Neville Chamberlain shook hands with Hitler,” he said, referring to the British prime minister’s infamous handshake with the German dictator as Britain was negotiating Germany’s takeover of the Sudentenland. The agreement paved the way for the spread of Germany’s military across Europe.
McCain said Obama never should have shaken hands with Castro because Cuba still has Americans imprisoned.
Other Republican leaders said Obama should have used the moment to talk to Castro about human rights.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development