PHOENIX — Shoppers are looking for a red-hot deal online and police are concerned that Craigslist thefts could jump during the holidays.
The biggest mistake people make is taking community classified sites such as Craigslist at face value, that it’s as simple as an exchange of cash for goods. But it could be an opportunity for the criminal-minded.
Retired Phoenix Police Sgt. Andy Hill said buyers should never allow sellers in their homes.
“Make sure you’re meeting them in a public place that has lots of people around. Not in a parking lot and not in a business that has nobody there.”
Hill recommended bringing along backup and to meet in a familiar area.
“Don’t go it alone,” he said, and “make sure you’re not being followed home. Do not give out your address or other personal information. You want to make sure they’re not backtracking you to know you won’t be at home if you’re going somewhere else to meet them.”
Hill said another red flag that there could be trouble is when the seller changes the meeting location at the last minute.
Hill also said to check the merchandise to make sure it’s what was promised and try to complete as much of the deal as possible before giving up the cash.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food