PHOENIX — Shoppers are looking for a red-hot deal online and police are concerned that Craigslist thefts could jump during the holidays.
The biggest mistake people make is taking community classified sites such as Craigslist at face value, that it’s as simple as an exchange of cash for goods. But it could be an opportunity for the criminal-minded.
Retired Phoenix Police Sgt. Andy Hill said buyers should never allow sellers in their homes.
“Make sure you’re meeting them in a public place that has lots of people around. Not in a parking lot and not in a business that has nobody there.”
Hill recommended bringing along backup and to meet in a familiar area.
“Don’t go it alone,” he said, and “make sure you’re not being followed home. Do not give out your address or other personal information. You want to make sure they’re not backtracking you to know you won’t be at home if you’re going somewhere else to meet them.”
Hill said another red flag that there could be trouble is when the seller changes the meeting location at the last minute.
Hill also said to check the merchandise to make sure it’s what was promised and try to complete as much of the deal as possible before giving up the cash.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development