PHOENIX — According to the American Pet Products Association, at least half of pet owners will buy holiday gifts for their animals.
An executive with PetSmart, which is headquartered in Phoenix, told KTAR its customers spend $5-30 on gifts for their pets during the holidays. Of those, half will then buy gifts for their friends’ or family members’ pets, spending another $5-20.
“They’re really about including the pet in the family festivities,” said Senior Marketing Manager Melissa Galloway. “Every year, it feels like it just gets bigger and bigger.”
While most gifts are for dogs and cats, Galloway said PetSmart’s specialty market is growing. The retailer offers ornaments for fish tanks, Santa costumes for guinea pigs and an exercise wheel that plays “Jingle Bells.”
PetSmart — which has more than 1,300 stores in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico — is also seeing more interest in what its executives call “human-grade quality” products, such as a dog treat maker that resembles a George Foreman grill, which comes with a recipe book and molds in the shape of bones.
“A lot of pets may have allergies and you can know specifically what is in the batter you’re giving them,” Galloway said. “So you can mix it up however you want, if you want something organic or non-wheat.”
Just like parents of children, Galloway said some pet owners like to have video monitors so they can check in while they’re away from home. The devices have become a popular holiday gift.
“Personally, what I love about them is we have a pet that we’re trying to train to stay off our couches…(On) one of the devices we have, you can actually speak into the monitor,” she said. “So while your pet’s at home, you can talk to them and say, ‘Hey, get off the couch!’ So the dog can hear your voice, and you can correct behavior when you’re not directly there.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development