PHOENIX — In the December issue of National Geographic, a Chandler, Ariz., annual holiday tradition is mentioned in an article about tumbleweeds.
According to the city’s tourism website, Chandler is the only city in the southwestern U.S. with a tumbleweed tree.
The idea for a tumbleweed tree came in 1957 at the suggestion of Chandler resident Earl Barnum, who had seen a similar one in Indiana made with pine boughs. Today, tumbleweeds are less plentiful within the city’s limits, so city workers start collecting them early in the fall.
This year’s tree contains nearly 1,000 tumbleweeds attached to a 25-foot wire. The tumbleweeds are sprayed with 25 gallons of white paint, dusted with 65 pounds of glitter and covered with more than 1,000 lights. The tree is on display at the downtown park at Arizona Avenue and Chandler Boulevard.
Tumbleweeds are actually called Russian thistle. The invasive weed is believed to have made it to the U.S. through contaminated flax seed brought by Russian immigrants.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them