PHOENIX — Santa Claus made a special video conference call Monday from the North Pole to patients at the Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
Children unable to leave the hospital because their illnesses got to experience the joy of meeting Santa.
“Being able to, each year, see 150-plus kids that were not having too much fun here at the hospital smiling and talking to Santa, and getting giddy, and telling Santa what they want,” said Ted Davenport with Plus 6 Technologies, which partnered with PolyCom and PCH for the event, “it’s about as emotional as it gets to watch, but it’s really kind of cool.”
First, kids went to the PCH’s “Fun Zone” to talk to Santa either one-on-one or in small groups. When they got there, an uplink allowed them interact with Santa via a live video conference.
Michelle Trapani with PolyCom said kids light up when they see Santa calling from the North Pole.
“For children that are unable to leave their bed, we’re able to provide a solution through the iPad, where they can virtually have a conversation with Santa, and see him, and tell him what they want for Christmas,” she said.
The kids are more comfortable with the technology than adults are, Trapani added.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon