PHOENIX — Santa Claus made a special video conference call Monday from the North Pole to patients at the Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
Children unable to leave the hospital because their illnesses got to experience the joy of meeting Santa.
“Being able to, each year, see 150-plus kids that were not having too much fun here at the hospital smiling and talking to Santa, and getting giddy, and telling Santa what they want,” said Ted Davenport with Plus 6 Technologies, which partnered with PolyCom and PCH for the event, “it’s about as emotional as it gets to watch, but it’s really kind of cool.”
First, kids went to the PCH’s “Fun Zone” to talk to Santa either one-on-one or in small groups. When they got there, an uplink allowed them interact with Santa via a live video conference.
Michelle Trapani with PolyCom said kids light up when they see Santa calling from the North Pole.
“For children that are unable to leave their bed, we’re able to provide a solution through the iPad, where they can virtually have a conversation with Santa, and see him, and tell him what they want for Christmas,” she said.
The kids are more comfortable with the technology than adults are, Trapani added.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments